Sunday 29 July 2012

Random Recipes - My books!




I haven't entered into Dom's Random Recipe challenge for a while but this month he is giving uschance to be nosey neighbours  an easier task so I thought I'd definitely have time to join in. After viewing a few entries, I have to say I have been massively impressed with everyones cook book collections! So the task this month was to take a photo of your cookery book collection and share a story about it. These are the books we usually pick our random recipes from and it gives a little insight in our fellow bloggers worlds.

My collection of cookery books is not that impressive! 

I only have 15.

I live with an English graduate and a complete lover of books. We have three bookshelves in our flat and I'm only allowed one shelf. Our whole house would be covered in built in wall to ceiling book shelves if he had his way!

As you can see the book shelves are pretty full. We even have some piled on the front - I don't like this - I have to admit I'm a neat freak. 

I have resorted to a one in one out rule which has spurred many tiffs!

Our building has a great book swap down in the courtyard. It keeps me in tacky crime novels all year round, so my tube journeys go by with suspense and adventure, helping me ignore the heat and sweaty armpits!

The boy is always coming up stairs with am arm full of books exclaiming "look what I found?".

In my journey to keep the number of books down I try to use the internet for recipes as much as possible. This way I can can compare many different versions and read reviews which I find really useful. It's always great to know someone else has perfected a recipe for you! And with all the great food blogs out there we're spoiled for choice.

However I do think bakery books are beautiful. I genuinely will go to bed reading one, marking the pages of recipes I want to try and exclaiming at the pretty decorations. I am pretty good at restraining myself from buying books except when the Book People come to my office!

I don't know if you know who the book people are but they turn up at offices around London bearing lovely books. Tthey usually have a great selection of cookery books and at such reasonable prices I can't help it!

I predict that when I move somewhere larger my restraint will not last any more. I secretly can't wait!

Random Recipes #18 - July


Thanks for a great challenge Dom, I've loved peeking in to everyone's houses!

Happy reading all.

18 comments:

  1. Oh I recognise that trait. It took me 30 years of marriage before I got my husband to throw out some of his, very out of date, course books. We gave them to friends who have a second hand book shop! I hate double stacking books too, not becaue I'm a neat freak but because you can't see what is behind! My one in one out rule hasn't lasted in the cookbook department!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree... bakery books are beautiful and I love to have them on my shelves amongst the other great books of literary work too... variety in equal measures!... thanks for entering this month and even though you only have a few, they are very beautiful! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. That one in, one out rule is so difficult. I tried it for a while but I came up with so many exceptions to the rule that I gave in the end. I do admire you for sticking to one shelf, though - even if you don't really want to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm hopeless with books and envy your order and restraint. I have over 1000 and have lost all control and order with their storage and display!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Janice - That's another reason why I hate double stacking hehe. 30 years? I'm going to have to nip it in the bud now then :)

    Helene - It is very good, I particularly like the savoy cake recipe. There aren't enough pictures for my liking but then I would like a picture per cake and there are a lot of recipes! The recipes are short without a lot of detail but they have always turned out great for me. There is a huge varity from cake to all kinds of pastries that I've never heard of. I would recommend it.

    Dom - Thanks dom - great challenge!

    Phil - It is difficult, I think I should have mentioned that I am not that good at it!

    Cake Crusader - 1000? That sounds amazing! Ask me again in few years and the restraint will have gone :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. 15 recipe books is very restrained!! I agree with you though that the internet is a great place to find recipes! :-) I find book buying very addictive, it's hard to stop buying them!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a cookbook addict and 15 cookbooks is never enough for me... I need to slow down my purchases now because I'm running out of space. Don't be like me... I think 15 good books are good enough for a good cook :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just discovered you can reply to each post - how silly. Thanks!

      Delete
  9. Hey we all have to start somewhere...I only had 15 books at one time too you know! You still have 27 years to catch up with me (OK so now you know how old I am) and I'm not thinking of stopping this marathon just yet...Like the reference to the Olympics? :-) .... With a little patience a little nurturing and a lot of "Oh one more book cant hurt" and you will be up there with the rest of us in no time LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Olympic ref! Hehe I'm sure i'll get there!

      Delete
  10. I used to live with a book hoarder at uni. When I visited her mum and dad's house one holiday they had bookcases everywhere, all of them double stacked, and toppling piles next to them! I could see where her hoarding habit came from!

    I love using the internet for recipes too. I'm constantly scouring other blogs and the bbc good food website for recipes. But occasionally I succumb to the beautiful bakery books. I love them for the photography alone.

    By the way, eating macarons in your bed every birthday sound like a brilliant tradition!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great tradition hehe. I recommend the slated caramel ones!

      My mum is a bit of a hoarder which is why I am a bit harsh on myself. You usually get more pictures on the internet which is my fav part.

      Delete
  11. Ooh you have the Miette one - how is that? I love that you secretly can't wait to lose your self restraint! I have a rather restrained collection too but luckily my sister has a humongous collection of every delish looking bakery book I could ever want and she's always willing to share them so that works out pretty well for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't made any from the Miette book yet but it looks lovely. There are less cake recipes than I thought but lots of other bakery treats. The book is beautiful though, with lovely pictures and a ruffled edge.

      Delete
  12. We have the Book People too! When they have stuff in I always seem to drink double the usual amount of tea so I can keep going into the kitchen and leafing through them. My cookbook collection is limited too as I live in a shoebox - I have been agog at some of the other ones I've seen in this challenge! At least it means we are forced into restraint :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep it does force restraint! I already get overwhelmed by all the things I haven't baked, to be honest, so it helps to not add to it. :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving me a message! I really appreciate it and hope you have enjoyed my blog.