Monday 7 May 2012

Batman Cake


Last weekend I made my first fondant covered character cake for my nephews 6th birthday. I have been promising him this for ages, every time I spoke to him he wanted a different cake. He started out with a Pterodactyl cake which I was slightly nervous about! He then settled on Batman, which I hoped would be a bit easier.


I did a bit of research online to see what other batman cakes were around and decided on a round cake surrounded by a skyline with the batman sign projected on top.


I'm sure none of my decoration methods were particularly professional, I went for the "make it up as you go along" method which consisted of some print outs and clear plastic to make stencils and toothpicks to mark out my design.


For my first attempt, I have to say I was pretty pleased with myself. It did take many evenings of work but turned out pretty well.


I had to roll the blue icing out 3 times because it kept sticking at the last moment. Any tips to stop the fondant sticking to your surface? I covered my counter in icing sugar and kept moving the icing around but it still stuck.


The black icing made me nervous because the colour seems to run easily and I didn't want my blue icing to get stained. Cue, doing everything slowly and a lot of talking to the icing - yes I do that!



I made a French savoy sponge from my new "The art of french baking book". Correct me if I'm wrong but I think this is also called an Angel cake. The sponge has no butter in it (I figured with all the Fondant icing I should try to take out some fat!) and is made by separating eggs. I found the sponge light and dense, okay that makes no sense but it was delicious and...... spongey.


I made two 8in round cakes and sandwiched them together with sugar free strawberry jam. I didn't hand make it as usual just to save some time. I like smooth sugar free jams best.


I covered it in vanilla buttercream, made with vanilla bean paste which made it super yummy. The first layer was the crumb coat, nice and thin, I then popped it in the fridge overnight.




I smoothed out the cake with more buttercream the next day. I could have spent hours doing this, it never seems to be as smooth as you want it but I had to crack on.



Next I rolled out the blue fondant. I bought white fondant icing and massaged blue food colouring in to it a few nights before, a nice tv watching task. I had to use far more food colouring than I had anticipated and I had originally wanted the blue to be darker but, quite frankly, I got bored. I brushed the cake with water to make the buttercream sticky in preparation for the fondant.



I covered the cake and it was tense. As you can see I didn't get the icing flush to the bottom as I was too scared I would cut away too much. I knew I was going to cover it with black icing so I wasn't worried that much.


Next I added the skyline. I just did this to eye so no fancy tricks to share. I marked the windows with little L shapes using the end of a knife.




I made the back of the batman sign by tracing the image on to a piece of clear plastic and cutting around it. I then marked the bat by poking holes through a paper print out to give the outline on the fondant which I then cut around. You can see tiny holes on the edge of the bat so I will have to work on that!



Again I made the projection bit by eye and stuck it on by brushing it with water. I stuck on some yellow windows with the left over yellow and finished with a few white chocolate stars.



I had both my niece and nephew stay for the weekend. As I had missed their birthday's because I was in Japan we decided that the Friday would be Tom's "birthday" and Saturday would be Anya's. We went for a quick dinner to Nandos on the friday then finished off with the cake. The little man seemed to appreciate it! Every few hours he would run over the the cake and say "Can I see the Bat? Don't touch it!". It took me a while to persuade him that we could cut in to it and eat it!





Happy baking. Cake fairy x

8 comments:

  1. aw he looks so pleased!! My 25 year old brother would love this.

    Nom! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well you wouldn't know it was your first time making a fondant covered cake! It looks very smooth and professional. I love how delighted the birthday boy looks in that last photo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wowsers! I echo Jo's comments - your first fondant cake and it looks like that? Whatttt? I absolutely love the skyscape around the edge and the Batman logo is so awesome, your nephew must have absolutely loved it! and the cake sounded tasty too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys. There was noone in the house at the time and I held my breathe for a lot of it! I've got a birthday in August so hopefully it goes well too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wowzaaa! What a brilliant bake- I'm sure your nephew must have been utterly delighted!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Can't believe it was your first one, it looks brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no! What happened to the pictures?? I wanted to use those pictures to show my bakery for my son's batman birthday party.. because youre in London & Im in ny!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a message! I really appreciate it and hope you have enjoyed my blog.