Wednesday 25 July 2012

Chocolate and Yogurt Coated Blackcurrant Cookies - We Should Cocoa



This is my entry for this month We Should Cocoa hosted by the lovely Choclette over at Chocolate Log Blog

She started off announcing that this month chocolate pairing ingredient was challenging. 

Blackcurrents, Pah I thought, easy. I love chocolate and tart fruit. No probs!

However I was very wrong, I've searched high and low for these cheeky little things with no joy!

In the end I managed to find one pack of yoghurt coated blackcurrents at 2 am in the small shop I went to to buy eggs and bacon for breakfast.


My plan was to make blackcurrant and chocolate cookies. I was looking forward to the juicy blackcurrants in contrast with the chocolate but I went ahead with the recipe anyway. I didn't get the pretty splashes of purple I would have got with fresh blackcurrants, but I did get little bits of fruit chewiness which was pretty pleasing!


The yogurt melted and you couldn't really see any blackcurrant pieces - here is one on the left just above the chocolate chunk! You could say it was surprise eating!

The cookies were chewy and super easy to make. I am a chewy cookies girl rather than a biscuit person so a chewy cookie is a must for me!

Chocolate and Yogurt Coated Blackcurrent Cookies:

  • 250g plain flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 170g melted salted butter
  • 200g dark brown soft sugar
  • 100g caster sugar
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste
  • 1 egg
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 150g chocolate (Chopped in to pieces with a sharp knife)

1. Preheat your oven to 170C and line two (or more) baking trays with greaseproof paper.

2. Using an electric whisk, beat together the melted butter and sugars until fluffy.

3. Beat in the egg and yolk and vanilla bean paste until the mixture is creamy.

4. Sift in the dry ingredients and fold into the creamy mixture. Try not to over mix.

5. Fold in the chocolate pieces and yogurt coated blackcurrants (feel free to substitute with real blackcurrants!)

6. Scoop the cookie dough with a tablespoon or ice cream scoop and drop on to your prepared trays. Leave 6 cm between each dough ball and you don't need to flatten the dough.

7. Bake for 15 mins for chewy deliciousness!

8. Nibble hot or leave to cool on a wire rack.

I hope you are all enjoying the weather ( I had to mention it, I'm British right!?). It's not really baking weather but you can still make many delicious desserts that are no bake, so it's no excuse not to quench our sweet tooth's.

It is two days until the Olympics officially start! Where are you watching the Olympic ceremony? I am watching it on a big screen in Walthamstow. I am so excited about the Olympics, I just can't wait!

Cake Fairy x


4 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear you had such problems sourcing blackcurrants. But you did come up with a new find or at least I haven't heard of yogurt coated blackcurrants before - resourceful I'd say. I do agree with you though, the tart berries prove a great contrast to the sweetness in cookies and do give a lovely colour. These sound delicious. Thanks for playing along despite the difficulties.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely chewy cookies. The yoghurt coated blackcurrants sound a great idea even if it was forced on you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh I'm definitely a chewy cookie girl myself aswell, it's been ages since I made some and these look and sound delicious! I wouldn't mind some yoghurt coated blackcurrants on their own actually, they sound really nice! Enjoy the Olympic ceremony, it's once in a lifetime stuff - can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Choclette - That's fine, I loved the challenge really! I never would have noticed the yoghurt covered blackcurrants otherwise!

    Phil - Thank Phil. They were good an chewy, yum.

    Kim - Thanks! I can't wait either :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a message! I really appreciate it and hope you have enjoyed my blog.