These are delicious - One of my most favourite cupcakes. The sponge is so light and fluffy and the coffee syrup and filling makes the texture an amazing texture taste sensation! Possibly even better than the actual tiramisu.
80g unsalted butter
280g caster sugar
240g plain flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- Preheat the oven to 190C and line a muffin tin with muffin cases. This batter makes 12 muffins or 24 cupcakes.
- Cream together butter and sugar. Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt and mix in with the butter and sugar.
- Whisk together the eggs, vanilla essence and milk in a jug. Add this gradually to the dry mixture. Do not over mix, just combine the ingredients.
- Fill the muffin cases two thirds full and bake for 18-20mins.
- While the cakes are in the oven make the coffee syrup and icing/filling.
250ml strong coffee
75ml Kahlua (I used brandy)
3 tbsp caster sugar
- Bring all the coffee syrup ingredients to the boil in a saucepan and simmer until it has reduced by half. Leave to the side to cool.
400g Mascarpone Cheese
50ml Kahlua (or 1 part brandy to 1 part coffee)
300ml double cream
30g icing sugar
- Beat together the Kahlua and Mascarpone with an electric whisk until smooth. Don't over mix as it will go lumpy.
- Whisk the cream and icing sugar together in another bowl in to soft peaks
- Fold both mixtures together.
- Take the cakes out of the oven, put them on a cooling rack. When they are cool cut out a well in the middle with a sharp knife or apple corer.
- Save the cut out bit and soak them in one teaspoon of the coffee syrup
- Put two teaspoons of coffee syrup in the well.
- Fill the well with the mascarpone filling and then put the cut out bit/lid back on.
- Cover with frosting and Dust with cocoa.