Yay, another excuse to make more cupcakes! So I only have time to make once batch of cupcakes this week so thought I would cheat and post some cupcakes I made a few weeks ago.
I volunteered at a charity for a few months and made these to say goodbye. I just googled blueberry and lemon cupcakes and found this great blog Mia-s Bakehouse. I was inspired by the yummy flavours. Rich blueberry and tangy lemon is a great combo! The icing recipe is from Whoopie Pies by Sarah Billingham and Amy Treadwell. The mascarpone makes the frosting creamy and delicious and easy to pipe. I topped them with a blueberry and sprinkles.
I piped a swirl on the top of the cupcake with a Wilton 1M star tip. Here is a useful video to help with piping a swirl. This is by Cookie Girl, from the EAT ME book. There are four different piping styles on this one.
Vanilla SpongeOnce again the sponge recipe is from JoyofBaking. I used the lemon zest this time as the cakes are lemon. This recipe makes 11/12 muffin size cakes so I usually make one and a half the recipe so I can take 12 to whoever I'm given them to and keep some for me and the boy!
2 tbsp sugar
Lemon Mascarpone Frosting
375g Icing sugar
113g Mascarpone cheese (room temp)
43g unsalted butter (room temp)
zest of one lemon
1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- Take the butter and mascarpone out of the fridge so it's room temp.
- Whilst the cakes are baking put the blueberries and sugar in a small pan and simmer. Wait until the blueberries start to burst, give them a helping hand by stirring and crushing. Simmer for 5 mins until it is puree like and leave aside to cool.
- Using and electric whisk, whisk together the butter and mascarpone.
- Whisk in the icing sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice. Leave to the side.
- When the cakes are cool, using an apple corer or sharp knife make a well in each cupcake. Fill with blueberry filling, roughly two teaspoons.
- Top with a swirl of Lemon Mascarpone Frosting. Delicious!