Monday 1 August 2011

Rocky Road Cake



I love Rocky road bars so thought I would try and make a cake version. The best thing about rocky road is the different textures.
I used gingernut biscuits, marshmallows, maltesers and chocolate pieces. I filled the cake with them and covered it in them too. I also made a chocolate buttercream, with real chocolate melted in it, just to make it even more decadent and rich.
Note: I’ve just discovered vanilla bean paste as an alternative to vanilla essence. You get the lovely vanilla bean specks and a much stronger vanilla flavour.

Rocky Road Cake
240g self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
pinch salt
225g butter
200g caster sugar
4 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
A selection of chocolate pieces/chips,  marshmallows, ginger biscuits, maltesers.
Glace cherries (optional – I don’t like these myself but you might!)
1. Preheat oven to 175C and grease  a loaf tin or 8 inch tin.
2. Cream butter and sugar together.
3. Beat in the eggs and vanilla.
4. Sieve in the flour, baking powder and salt.
5. Fold in the selection of fillings. Have fun with this add whatever you fancy!
6. Bake for 50 mins until golden and a toothpick pierced in comes out clean.

Chocolate ganache icing
100g  milk/dark chocolate
40g  unsalted butter (room temp)
2 tbsp water
75g icing sugar

1. Melt the chocolate either in the microwave or in a pyrex bowl balanced over a pan of water (make sure the water doesn’t touch the bowl)
2. Cream together the butter, icing sugar and water.
3. Beat in the melted chocolate. Smother all over the cake!
4. Top the cake with more goodies. I used gingernut biscuits, mini marshmallows, maltesers and chocolate pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving me a message! I really appreciate it and hope you have enjoyed my blog.