Wednesday 6 July 2011

Coffee Cupcakes and driving




So I still haven’t passed my driving test! Living in London means you don’t need a car so much so I started learning pretty late. I had some bad experiences with a driving instructor so I gave up and was left petrified of driving – it’s possible I am being slightly melodramatic here but still I don’t like driving. I only have 6 months left on the theory test I passed so I decided to try again. My first lesson was utterly terrifying and I’m pretty sure I just hate driving but I wont give up!
When I got home I made some cupcakes to calm me down…
Coffee Cupcakes – This recipe is adapted from Baking magic (cakeadoodledo.co.uk)
95g self raising flour
4 tbsp cocoa powder (real cocoa not hot chocolate powder – it just won’t work)
120g caster sugar
120g margarine, softened
2 tsp baking powder
3 tbsp of strong coffee (I used fresh but you can use instant)
2 large eggs
1. Preheat the oven to 170C and lay out your 12 cupcake cases.
2. Cream together the margarine and sugar with a spatula or a electric whisk.
3. Whisk the eggs in a separate bowl and mix in with the marg mixture.
4. Stir in the coffee
5. Sift in the dry ingredients and beat until smooth with an electric whisk.
6. Using an ice cream scoop, evenly distribute the mixture in to your cupcake cases (fill the cases 2/3 full)
7. Bake for 20 mins  - insert a toothpick and if it comes out clean they are done.

Coffee buttercream

110g butter, unsalted
240g icing sugar
1 tbsp cocoa
2 tbsp coffee
Mix together, start off slowly to the icing sugar doesn’t go everywhere then whisk with an electric whisk until all fluffy!

I topped them with the royal icing flowers I had left over and some sprinkles & glitter in the cupboard but you could try chocolate covered coffee beans for a treat!
I have had my second lesson now and it wasn’t too bad so wish me luck x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving me a message! I really appreciate it and hope you have enjoyed my blog.