Sunday 18 September 2011

Raspberry and White Chocolate Cupcakes


I fell over!

So I'm walking to work clutching my cupcake box filled with 12 cupcakes for the brilliant Alva's birthday, and I trip and fall pretty much on my face. In slow motion the cupcake box flies out of my hand and skids along the pavement. I am about to leap up and rush to the beloved cupcakes when a (probably very sensible and I'm super grateful really) do gooder ambushes me. She tells me to sit down because she is sure I banged my head and I probably have concussion and I should keep still. I'm peering left and right around her and mumbling about the cupcakes when a nice man brings them over and says

"Here are your cakes, don't worry only three fell over"

In my head - Phew! what a relief

Women "I really don't think that's important now"

In my head "yes, yes it is!"




Thanks to the nice man my cupcakes were safe and transported the rest of the way to work (despite the women forcing me to stay with her for 20 mins and constantly barking at me "don't fall asleep!" - which would have been difficult as I was standing up!).

Alva loves white chocolate so I decided to make these cupcakes. I made two versions:

1) White cupcakes baked with raspberries, filled with white chocolate topped with raspberry buttercream (I took this recipe from EAT ME, but I changed the sponge and icing recipe)
2) White cupcakes filled with raspberry purée topped with white chocolate icing

White cupcake recipe with and without raspberries

This is again taken from joyofbaking (love this site!). I choose the white cupcake recipe.
If you are making the cakes with raspberries in, to ensure maximum raspberriness, after dividing the batter into cases push three raspberries into each cake.

Raspberry purée

200g raspberries
two tablespoons sugar
30ml water

1. Gently simmer in a pan together for 15 mins whilst stirring and crushing with the back of a fork or potato masher.
2. Leave aside to cool.


White chocolate filling

140g good quality white chocolate
60ml double cream

1. Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a saucepan of boiling water.
2. Stir in the cream and leave to cool.

Raspberry buttercream

225g unsalted butter (room temp)
375g icing sugar
3 tablespoons raspberry purée (as above) or jam.

1. Smoosh icing sugar and butter together.
2. Whisk in the purée.

White Chocolate buttercream

225g unsalted butter (room temp)
375g icing sugar
3 tablespoons melted white chocolate (melt as above)
1 tablespoon milk (optional)

1. Smoosh icing sugar and butter together.
2. Whisk in white chocolate. If the icing is too think whisk in the milk.


Assemble version 1 as follows:

1. Cut a well out of the raspberry cupcakes with a sharp knife or apple corer.
2. Fill with white chocolate filling.
3. Top with raspberry buttercream

Assemble version 2 as follows:

1. Cut a well out of the white cupcakes with a sharp knife or apple corer.
2. Fill with raspberry purée.
3. Top with white chocolate icing.


If you only want to make one type of cupcake then adjust the amounts i.e. you don't need to make the whole batch of raspberry purée for the raspberry buttercream icing. I would just use a handful of raspberries with sugar to taste.

Happy birthday sister friend!

2 comments:

  1. I love this story sisterfriend.

    have to say they were the best cupcakes i've had for a long time. same again next week yea lol x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow these look amazing, so happy that they (and you) survived the fall! What do you use for piping frosting? I usually avoid piping as I find it can look a bit too frilly and 'done', but your cupcakes always look beautiful. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a message! I really appreciate it and hope you have enjoyed my blog.